Cheesy Sausage & Sage Stuffing
2 Tbsps Unsalted Butter, Plus More #054130
1 Medium Boule Sourdough, Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces
(9–10 Cups), Dried Out Overnight #216746
2 Tbsps Olive Oil #065312
1 Pound Sweet Or Spicy Italian Sausage, Casings Removed #214884
2 Large Onions, Finely Chopped #192005
3 Celery Stalks, Chopped #192295
1/4 Cup Finely Chopped Sage #196312
Kosher Salt, Freshly Ground Pepper #052100, 169540
1 Cup Dry White Wine –
2 Large Eggs, Beaten #193029
1 Cup Low-Sodium Chicken Broth #090464
2 Cups Half-And-Half #195820
1 Pound Aged Cheddar, Grated (About 5 Cups),
1. Preheat oven to 300°. Butter a shallow 13x9" baking dish and a large piece of foil. Place 9 cups bread in a large bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Cook sausage, stirring occasionally and breaking into small pieces with a wooden spoon, until browned and cooked through, 7–10 minutes. Transfer to bowl with bread.
3. Place onions, celery, sage, and 2 Tbsp. butter in same skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring often, until onions are golden brown and soft, 10–12 minutes. Add wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until almost completely evaporated, about 5 minutes; scrape into bowl with bread and sausage.
4. Whisk eggs and broth in a medium bowl until smooth, then pour over bread mixture. Pour in halfand- half and add 3 cups cheese; toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to prepared baking dish and cover with foil, buttered side down. Bake until a paring knife inserted into the center comes out hot, 40–50 minutes.
5. Heat broiler. Uncover stuffing and top with remaining cheese. Broil until top is golden and bubbling, about 4 minutes. Let sit at least 10 minutes and up to 30 before serving.