These Jumbo pasta shells are delicately stuffed with a rich and velvety butternut squash puree, creating a creamy and slightly sweet interior. Nestled in a bed of hearty Italian sausage crumbles, this dish offers a delightful contrast of flavors that dance on your guest’s palate.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- ¾ cup milk
- ¾ cup vegetable broth
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 cups spinach
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 pound jumbo shells, cooked al dente
- 15 ounces ricotta
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup parmesan, shredded
- Additional parmesan, shredded
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Arrange onion and butternut squash in an even layer on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt & pepper. Roast for 40 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, cook sausage over medium heat. When sausage is mostly browned, add spinach and garlic. Cook until spinach is wilted and remove from heat.
4. Place roasted butternut squash and onion in a food processor.
5. Pulse until a smooth puree forms. Allow to cool. Stir in milk and vegetable broth. Pour butternut squash sauce into base of a 9x13 baking dish.
6. In a large mixing bowl, stir together ricotta, parmesan, and egg. Add sausage and spinach into ricotta and stir until evenly distributed.
7. Fill cooked pasta shells with 3-4 tablespoons of filling. Arrange shells in butternut squash sauce in the 9x13 baking dish.
8. Bake for 30 minutes covered with aluminum foil followed by 15 minutes uncovered. Top with additional parmesan.