Hanger Steak with Charred Scallion Sauce
- ½ cup crushed or coarsely chopped walnuts – SGC# 141739
- 1 small garlic clove – SGC# 192922
- 9 Tbsp EVOO, divided – SGC# 065312
- 1 ½ lb Hanger Steak, cut into 4 pieces, center membrane removed – SGC# 227606
- Kosher salt & ground pepper – SGC# 052100 & 169540
- ¾ tsp ground cayenee pepper, plus more for serving – SGC# 171389
- 12 scallions – SGC# 192014
- 5 tsp red wine vinegar – SGC# 125417
- 1 Tbsp chopped gherkins - SGC# 126680
- 1 Tbsp chopped, drained capers – SGC# 078420
- 1 Tbsp whole grain mustard - SGC# 125985
- ¾ tsp chopped thyme - SGC# 193482
- Pinch of sugar - SGC# 051805
- Flaky sea salt - SGC# 171412
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toast walnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until golden brown, 8–10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl. Finely grate garlic over warm walnuts and toss with 6 Tbsp. oil.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Season steaks with kosher salt and black pepper; sprinkle all over with Aleppo-style pepper. Rub with 2 Tbsp. oil and cook, turning occasionally, until deeply browned and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 130° for medium-rare, 10–12 minutes. Transfer steaks to a cutting board.
- Wipe out skillet and reduce heat to medium. Place scallions and 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet, season with kosher salt, and cook, turning occasionally, until softened and deeply charred, about 4 minutes. Transfer to cutting board; trim and cut into 1" pieces. Add to bowl with walnut mixture along with vinegar, cornichons, capers, mustard, thyme, and sugar and toss to combine; season with kosher salt and black pepper.
- Slice steak against the grain and sprinkle with sea salt. Serve with scallion sauce and more Aleppo-style pepper.